What you may and may not do when you use the Faculti Platform, and the consequences of breaking the rules. This policy has been approved by the Executive Team and any amendments to it require the Executive team's approval.
It is the responsibility of all users of Faculti services to read and understand this policy. This policy may be updated from time to time, in order to comply with legal and policy requirements.
This Acceptable Use Policy is intended to provide a framework for such use of the Platform service and resources. It should be interpreted such that it has the widest application and so as to include new and developing technologies and uses, which may not be explicitly referred to.
This Acceptable Use Policy is taken to include the JANET Acceptable Use Policy and the JANET Security Policy published by JANET (UK) and the Eduserv General Terms of Service.
Members of Faculti and all other users (staff, students, visitors, contractors and others) of the platform resources are bound by the provisions of its policies in addition to this Acceptable Use Policy. Faculti seeks to promote and facilitate the positive and extensive use of the platform in the interests of supporting the delivery of learning, teaching, innovation and research to the highest possible standards. This also requires appropriate and legal use of the technologies and facilities made available to students, staff and partners of Faculti.
2 Unacceptable Use
a) The Faculti platform may not be used directly or indirectly by a User for the download, creation, manipulation, transmission or storage of:
- any offensive, obscene or indecent images, data or other material, or any data capable of being resolved into obscene or indecent images or material;
- unlawful material or material that is defamatory, threatening, discriminatory, extremist or which has the potential to radicalise themselves or others;
- unsolicited “nuisance” emails;
- material which is subsequently used to facilitate harassment, bullying and/or victimisation of a member of Faculti or a third party;
- material which promotes discrimination on the basis of race, gender, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation;
- material with the intent to defraud or which is likely to deceive a third party;
- material which advocates or promotes any unlawful act;
- material that infringes the intellectual property rights or privacy rights of a third party, or that is in breach of a legal duty owed to another party; or
- material that brings Faculti into disrepute.
b) Faculti must not be deliberately used by a User for activities having, or likely to have, any of the following characteristics:
- intentionally wasting staff effort or other Faculti resources;
- corrupting, altering or destroying another User’s data without their consent;
- disrupting the work of other Users or the correct functioning of Faculti; or
- denying access to Faculti and its services to other users.
- pursuance of commercial activities (even if in support of Faculti business), subject to a range of exceptions. Contact Faculti to discuss your commercial need.
c) Any breach of industry good practice that is likely to damage the reputation of the JANET network will also be regarded prima facie as unacceptable use of the Facuti platform.
d) Where Faculti is being used to access another network, any abuse of the acceptable use policy of that network will be regarded as unacceptable use of Faculti.
e) Users shall not:
- introduce data-interception, password-detecting or similar software or devices to access Faculti;
- seek to gain unauthorised access to restricted areas of Faculti;
- access or try to access data where the user knows or ought to know that they should have no access;
- carry out any hacking activities; or
- intentionally or recklessly introduce any form of spyware, computer virus or other potentially malicious software.
If a member of the Faculti community believes they may have encountered breaches of any of the above, they should make this known to Faculti.
3 Consequences of Breach
In the event of a breach of this Acceptable Use Policy by a User Faculti may in its sole discretion:
a) restrict or terminate a User’s right to use the Faculti platform;
b) withdraw or remove any material uploaded by that User in contravention of this Policy; or
c) where appropriate, disclose information to law enforcement agencies and take any legal action against a User for breach of this Policy, including but not limited to claiming all costs, fees and disbursements (including but not limited to legal fees) connected therewith.
In addition, where the User is also a member of the Faculti community, Faculti may take such action, disciplinary or otherwise as it deems appropriate and which is in accordance with its Code of Conduct and Terms and Conditions.
4 Other notes
Users are additionally reminded of Regulations for Users, particularly section 10. ‘Use of Facilities’.
Faculti Platform – all content, access and networking facilities provided by Faculti, with particular reference to all computing devices, either personal or University-owned, connected to systems and services supplied.
6 Document Control Information
Owner: Sam Mohammad, Managing Director, Faculti Media Limited
Version Number: 1.0
Approval Date: December 2020
Approved By: Executive Team
Date of Last review: December 2020